Become a Member
Proudly Sponsored By
creatives / interviews with top creatives from around the world
IHAVEANIDEA.ORG > creatives >  Renata Florio
Renata Florio

renatalrg Renata FlorioChief Creative Officer
Wing

Renata Florio is breaking multiple molds: the first being a departure from the Brazilian advertising industry for America and the second, joining U.S. Hispanic shop Wing as a its first female CCO. Renata is a successful Brazilian creative superstar, having won not one, but eight Gold Lions, as well as One Show awards over her 20-year career that has spanned top shops such as AlmapBBDO, F/Nazca Saatchi & Saatchi, DM9DDB, Publicis and Peralta StrawberryFrog. Her experience crosses categories from fast food, beverage and financial services to packaged goods, automotive and household appliances, with brands like Unilever, Nestle, General Motors, Volkswagen, Toyota, Citibank and Whirlpool. Her next step is to conquer the U.S. market, bringing a unique and informed Latin American and Brazilian point of view and global experience. After spending some time chatting with her, just one month after she arrived in the U.S., the best thing about Renata is her friendly, down-to-earth joie de vivre. She is humble, appreciating the opportunities that she has earned, yet acknowledging that without dedicated hard work on her part and the part of her new team at Wing, the experience will be for nothing.

IHAVEANIDEA:  Since you’ve very recently relocated to New York to lead the creative team at Wing, what motivated you to leave Brazil?

Renata: There are three very important things. The first one is the challenge of working with the U.S.-Hispanic market. I’ve been working in this business for twenty years and I’ve been through many challenges, but this mixing of cultural and economical facts in the new America attracted my attention. It feels like I’m a part of the new period of history. It’s not only about advertising itself, but also about how the world is changing and how we are all becoming more global, even if we are fond of the good old Madison Ave. times.  The Grey Group was beckoning, so it’s not only being a part of the new U.S. age, but it’s being also part of a bigger structure.

The second thing is that Brazil has very good advertising products, but I don’t think we are always as exposed to what’s going on in the business around the world. It feels like I’m getting more knowledge and in touch with more things in the industry here in New York than I would have if I had stayed in Brazil.
The third reason is that I’ve worked a lot with Latin America and this is a chance to mix the culture again. So it’s about culture, including the culture of the business, and I am going to be able to bring my experience as a Brazilian and Latin American and bring something fresh to the business.

It’s about culture, including the culture of the business, and I am going to be able to bring my experience as a Brazilian and Latin American and bring something fresh to the business.

IHAVEANIDEA: What lured you into the business in the first place?

Renata: Well, I used to be a language teacher, a Portuguese teacher.  I used to teach in high school and then I started teaching writing for advertising agencies and also for advertising universities. I got very interested in the subject myself so I started studying how it would work. Since it was so new and interesting to me, I started as an intern although I was already 25 years old.  I kept two jobs, teaching some days and working part-time as a copywriter. Eventually I just gave up teaching and kept on the route of being a copywriter.

fedexasia2 Renata Florio

IHAVEANIDEA: Can you tell me some highlights of your experience in Brazil?

Renata: I started my career at AlmapBBDO and also worked for F/Nazca Saatchi & Saatchi in Sao Paolo. In fact, I usually say that though I didn’t study advertising, I graduated in the advertising business through my experience at Saatchi & Saatchi, which is one of the most creative agencies in Brazil and in the world. I learned a lot there. I was Head of Creative for Latin America and Brazil at DM9DDB and had a great experience there, as well. I was at Peralta StrawberryFrog before I came to Wing, where they have this very interesting cultural movement perspective and I learned a lot there about the way you think. Instead of thinking of advertising as a single idea, they create a cultural movement. It’s more about the people and less about the product, more about what they expect and want to do with your brand than about the brand. Of course for this cultural movement and all of this challenging positioning, it requires a strong client and a strong brand.  You cannot do that with a product that won’t work.

Get the Flash Player to see the wordTube Media Player.
IHAVEANIDEA: What is your number one goal for this transition and what you want to bring to Wing?

Renata: It’s definitely to improve the creative work, to provide clients and the market with better creative work. At the moment, the very first goal is to sit down, take a look at the work, see how we can make it better, then see how we can make it much better.  I think it’s very exciting (laughs).

At the moment, the very first goal is to sit down, take a look at the work, see how we can make it better, then see how we can make it much better.

IHAVEANIDEA: You’ve won many, many, many awards throughout your career. Is that something that you also intend to bring to Wing?

Renata: Yes, yes. Brazil has a good culture of winning awards and I think this is very important and I do care about it. Whereas people say awards are not important, I think that they are. It is about self-esteem and saying that you’re proud of the work you do. It’s nice when you’re recognized and we need people to evaluate our work, because otherwise—well, we are already a very self-centered, egomaniac culture—so if you don’t have someone else to weigh in, you’re going to go crazy. You’re going to believe you’re either the very best one, or the worst and you’ll feel depressed. Of course people sometimes tend to overvalue these prizes, but I think that if you do it in the right dose it’s very good for your self-esteem and for the agency’s self-esteem.

What am I bringing from an award culture? I know that I have to work hard, concentrate and build those relationships. Of course I’ll always have the team to help me, and I’ve already met people on my team that are very talented and I can just boost them and their great ideas, because they have many of them. I’m not promising anything because it’s very hard, but it’s a goal, it’s a serious goal, its part of our business plan to at least be there with very good work worth judging.

facebookuniao Renata Florio

IHAVEANIDEA: What inspires you and how do you let that trickle down and inspire the creative teams that you’re leading?

Renata: The inspiration for me is that there’s always another chance, or a good chance, to get a good idea.  So every brief, every job, is a door that opens to a possible chance that maybe this is the one you’ve been waiting for.  And I tell the team the same thing: if you are in this business, it’s because you like creative work. It’s always about that, a chance to be creative, a chance to do something new and fresh.  It’s not complicated.

The inspiration for me is that there’s always another chance, or a good chance, to get a good idea.  So every brief, every job, is a door that opens to a possible chance that maybe this is the one you’ve been waiting for.

IHAVEANIDEA: What is the most rewarding part of your job?

Renata: When you see people talking about your work and they have nothing to do with advertising. When you’re in the subway and you overhear a teenager saying to another teenager, “Have you seen that thing on Facebook that they’re doing right now?” Or even if your kids come to you and say “Did you do that?”

IHAVEANIDEA: What is your take on the U.S. Hispanic market?

Renata: So far I’ve been getting acquainted with the target, but my research to date has brought me to the conclusion that it’s much like the market in Brazil that we call “Class C.” In Brazil, the “Class C” has grown hugely because of our extraordinary economical development. As advertisers, we had to learn how to talk to people who were not used to having money, but all of a sudden thanks to God or economic policies, they are more able to spend.

I see the Hispanic market here more or less like that. The Hispanic population is now moving in to the second or third generation of people living in the U.S. Their ancestors may have been striving to buy food and pay rent, but now they are going to school, buying cars, televisions and apartments. They’re spending money but they want to be connected with something that makes sense to them. They don’t want to be addressed as “normal American people.” They want to be seen as part of the American culture and they want to belong because they’ve done it, their parents and grandparents have strived for that, but it’s different. I think it will take more time and it requires more research and knowledge to talk to them properly, but to me it’s pretty much about being honest.

cepacol1 Renata Florio

IHAVEANIDEA: What will you miss most about Brazil?  And what are you most excited about experiencing in the U.S.?

Renata: I’m not missing anything so far because now with the global ability to connect with people wherever they are. I’ve been talking to my old colleagues and checking the advertising sites of Brazil, so I haven’t had time to miss anything. The obvious thing that most excites me about New York?  Well wow, it’s New York, New York!  I still work as much as I used to work in Brazil, I have as many responsibilities as I used to have, but then when I open the office door it’s New York outside! My God, there is so much to learn, so much to do, all of the industries are here. It’s really overwhelming, it’s great.

IHAVEANIDEA: What is the one thing in the world that you cannot live without?

Renata: My family. I’ve proved it, I have tried. I lived here for 40 days before my family joined me here. I can tell you that if they didn’t join me, although there are all of these beautiful things and all of this excitement, I wouldn’t be as happy as I am. So they’re the ones.

IHAVEANIDEA: They’re your core.

Renata: Yes (laughs).

brianna Renata Florio
Brianna Graves
Operations Manager, Writer
IHAVEANIDEA

Recent Comments
LATEST JOBS

Copyright © 2001-2014 IHAVEANIDEA inc. All rights reserved. No material contained in this site may be republished or reposted.
IHAVEANIDEA™ is a trademark of IHAVEANIDEA inc. Terms and Conditions | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 2009 ihaveanidea inc. All rights reserved.

No material contained in this site may be republished or reposted. Terms and Conditions | Privacy Policy